Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Return...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:12

(A shadowy figure approached the door of Lord Rensain's domain. The rain was crashing down, and the hooded figure drew his robes in closer around him. As he approached the main door, he pounded on it loudly with his fist three times in quick succession)
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:17

Maire was curled up with a ledger as the rain fell down. She had extra candles lit to try to dispel the gloom, a fire was crackling and at her hand was one of her customary brews. She knew a servent would get the door and give her a moment to straighten out her dress and slip back on her shoes that laid at the foot of the chaise. She wondered who would be out in such weather.

A servent would open the door and offer to take Letos cloak. Maire walked sedatly to the entry hall as her dark eyes tried to find a familarity in the form that entered. She did not recognize the shapeless form but she did know it wasnt a woman. She smiled graciously her eyes unreadable though curiousity did burn within her.

"Welcome to the Caladore estate, I am Lady Caladore. What can I do for you?"
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:21

(The woman would notice some cuts and scrapes on his face, as well as what where the remnants of some wounds on various parts of his body. He was particularly favouring one of these, and it seemed to pain him as he spoke to her.)

"Greetings my Lady, and gracious thanks for your hospitality. My name is Leto, and I am - or was, the Duke of Cape Salarain. I presume I still hold that title, though I have not been there in quite some time. I came here seeking the Lord Rensain, if he is available?"
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:29

Maire nodded and then spoke to the servent" Please fetch my husband from his study. And get the man some dressing for his wounds" She gestured to the man" Duke Leto , I am afraid we have not met, my husband will join us shortly. Can I offer you some tea? " she indicated that he should come into the main room by the fireplace. She didnt seem to worry that he was dripping with water and that blood might seep from his wounds onto her carpets. She seemed warm and geniune.

" Please warm yourself" the servents would go into quick action and one would knock on Rensains door requesting that he come to the main room where his Lady had a guest. Another would bring in some bandages and clean rags for the gentleman and some ungent. Another log would be added to the fire as well and another teacup would appear " I can get you something else if you wish besides tea. I just make this myself and thought it might be rather warming for you." She waited for permission for she offered to help clean him up a bit before Rensain came in.
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:32

(He nodded gratefully, and accepted the assistance offered to him, letting himself be tended to.)

"Tea sounds... luxurious. I'd love a cup, thank you."
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:36

A cup was poured for him and sat near him while Maire carefully washed the wounds she could see. With tender fingers she cleaned them and then put a ungent upon them speaking as she did so " I am a herblist and own a apothocary so I am well versed in ungents. This will help you heal a bit faster and hopefully take out any infection" she did not ask him what had happened but it did not mean that her curiosity wasnt ripe.

Was he running from someone? What did he want with Rensain? She was sure it would all be revealed. It was not like most ladies of the house to tend wounds but she wasnt swayed. She had worked in the temple and tended the temple sect of warriors. It was quite comfortable for her.
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:39

(He winced occasionally as the water nipped at his wounds, but knew that he would soon be on the mend)

"My apologies for disturbing you at this late hour, but I knew not where else to go. If Lord Rensain allows it, you are welcome to listen to what we have to discuss."
Back to top Go down
Rensain Caladore

Rensain Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:43

{He had been busy with letters, missives to other Dukes and the salaries of the various households. His quill had been working furiously, parchment and account books lay nearby. The door knocked faintly, and his eyes cast upwards to the frame of the door.}

"Enter."

{Was Rensain's muttered response. If it wasn't Maire, he hated to be interupted. Vladamir was a hard employer, his work had to be dealt with first. However, the servant entered and spoke of a guest which caused Resain's brow to raise in surprise. He pushed his chair back and rose, striding confidently out of his study and down the long corridor towards the main room. Finally, upon arrival, he nodded to his good wife and set eyes upon Leto.}

"Good Evening, Duke Leto, I see you have met my good wife, Lady Maire. I wasn't expecting your arrival, but please, I'm glad to see you have managed to make yourself at home."

{He approached the room further and reached out his hand to shake Leto's.}

"You seem rather dishevelled. Tell me, what seems to be the problem?"

{Rensain's concern was obvious.}
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 19:52

(Leto took rensain's hand in a firm grip, shaking it.)

"Rensain, despite all that's happened it's good to see a familiar face. You've probably noticed that i've been absent for a while - rest assured this is not of my design. I awoke in my chamber one night, to find four masked figures standing above me. The next thing I knew I was in a room of complete darkness. Complete silence and isolation, save for the occasional guard coming in to feed me."

(He paused to sip his tea)

"Then one day more guards came for me, and I was knocked unconscious. I awoke on a boat, bound in chains. I managed to free myself, but I was wounded in the struggle to escape. I took one of the small rowboats and made my way to shore."

(He paused for a moment, as if catching his breath.)

"I came here, because I didn't feel safe going back to Salarain yet - or even Meriddia. Best that I keep my return low proile at the minute I think."

(He waited to see what his reaction would be.)
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 20:05

Maire had finished with the wounds and washed her hands. The servents melted away and only the three remained. Maire poured another cup of tea for herself and poured one for Rensain as well. A platter of light refreshments was brought, light meat and bread and some cheese in case their guest was hungry. Maire partook of none. She was drinking tea to keep her stomach from turning somersaults. Morning sickness she didnt have but it seemed in the evening she started feeling a bit quesy.

Upon hearing the news she turned to Rensain her eyebrow slightly raised. She kept silent however as more information came forth.
Back to top Go down
Rensain Caladore

Rensain Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 20:08

{Rensain was not a man of many words, and for a few minutes he stood and stared at the Duke. The tale was a strange one. Cocking his head to one side, he nodded slowly and removed his hand, which then rested behind his back.}

"Hmm..then I shall be sure to report such news to King Vladamir. Thats what you're here to do, I assume? He'll no doubt wish to know who these figures are, kidnapping a Duke of Salarain. Such madness. Where was Duke Kharne at the time of these happenings?"

Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 20:15

"I would prefer that news of this does not reach his ears as of yet. I know not who could possibly have done this, but I have not discounted anyone from my suspicions. As for Kharne, I do not know - though he is often coming and going, it would not have been unusual for him to have been away that night."

(He paused for breath again)

"Until I have had a chance to do some investigation of my own, I'd appreciate it if this remained between the three of us here. Not that I suspect the King of course, but he would certainly have had the resources. In any event, that is why I wish to keep a low profile at the minute. I'm sure that the last thing Aegis needs is my return adding to its problems."
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-12, 20:36

Maires brow furrowed" Are you asking us for sanctuary?" She knew he didnt want to be found at least for now. Not many came out to the Thunderlands except guests of the Caladores. Maire knew that the liklihood of someone thinking that Rensain would harbour anyone was pretty slim. Her husband did have a reputation that in many cases kept them just mysterious enough that people didnt bother them.

She nodded toward the platter of food" If you need something more then light refreshment please I can have the cook bring you something more hearty. It seems that you have been ill treated and nourishment would help you heal..." She gave a serene smile. There was much about Maire that most did not know. She was a good hostess, but she had a sharp side to her as well. She was studying Leto and hadnt quite made her assesment yet. So far she was neutral. Rensain was the one with his hand on the pulse of the kingdom. She most of the time just watched him and listened, for she then learned much.
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-13, 06:51

(Leto shook his head gently)

"I do not require sanctuary my Lady - save perhaps from the rest of this storm. I took the liberty of creating some shelters in Salarain previously - I should be able to go about my business reasonably freely."

(He paused again, sipping his tea)

"What I would ask however, is to elicit your assistance Lord Rensain. I need to be brought up to speed on what has been happening since I was here last. Are we at war with Aurora?"
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-13, 16:50

A look of curiosity clouded Maires features. She heistated for a moment then spoke" What would make you think we were at war? Have you some reason to believe that such is coming? You say you have been out of the loop so to speak, you must have some reason for asking such a thing" she wasnt accustory, she just was interested. Rensain would have surely told her if they were at war or if there was any reason to believe it was on the horizen. After all they did have a child on the way. It would not be like him to keep such a thing secret from her especially if he was concerned with her safety.

She glanced at her husband to see his reaction before her eyes cut back before the man before her. " I ask too many questions I suppose but your question warrented such query I believe. War is a grave thing" She sat back her hand on her stomach as it tumbled, slightly, the tea was helping however settle it. Her slender hand reached for a piece of the crusty bread as she slathered it with butter. Something on her stomach might help as well. It however remained on a napkin till Leto spoke.
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-13, 17:08

(He nodded)

"A fair counter-question. The only reason I ask is that before my absence, tensions seemed to be escalating. I would be highly surprised if the delicate stand-off had not been interrupted in the time i've been gone. Half the realm was ready to tear each other apart."
Back to top Go down
Rensain Caladore

Rensain Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-17, 18:26

"We are not currently at war with Aurora, no. If that will change sometime soon, I cannot say."

{He gestures with his hand for Leto to sit, whilst finding a seat for himself close to the hearth. Resting his arms upon the rest of the chair, Rensain looked to the Duke with concern.}

"I would certainly ask that Salarain hold its defenses high and this is something you would need to work hard with Kharne to achieve. Do it, do it soon, I say. I shall put the request in with Vladamir for funds. If Jaric can take us, it will be through here...the Thunderlands pass, and by ships through the Salarain harbor."

{He shook his head.}

"Lord knows what Bathory is doing or where she has been these past months but we have to work without her say, since she has been rather silent on any topic. Vladamir rules, everything runs through him and nothing is missed."

{Those strong dark eyes cast to his lady love.}

"Maire..I must confess, tensions have indeed been rising between Aegis and Aurora. I cannot say why or how..Vladamir is always very tight lipped on the matter...but I saw as good as anyone the arguement at the ball between Angel and Bathory then Vladamir and Jaric. There is something else going on.."

{He shook his head, he hated being out of the loop just as anyone else. His concern was for Maire, he didn't wish to worry her with such politics, yet clearly, he would not lie to her either.}

Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-17, 18:39

Maire began to eat her piece of bread thoughtfully. Her husband had obviously given great thought about if war were to come and which would be the likelist path that would bring such. She gave a reassuring smile to her husband to let him know she would not let worry of such eat at her. After all there was no indication that such could happen but with two enemies living so closely it was always possbile.

" I shall have a room made up for you Duke Leto. Should you wish to spend the night or a few to recouver. I am afraid we have little entertainments. I find my solace in gardens. A Solarium is in the works for the Thunderlands do not grow much." Indeed plans had been drawn up and workmen commissioned. They would start soon, for now Maire let her love for fauna and flora be sated with the gardens of her shop.

She felt a sudden chil whisper over her skin and tiny bumps raised over her arms. The Queen had been gone for rather long. Lady Letala her friend was in town so perhaps she would be showing herself from whatever solitiude she had been keeping herself. Things in Aegis were never cut and dried but with the absence of the Queen in affairs things were getting curiouser and curiouser.
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-18, 07:07

(He had taken the seat that Rensain offered when he started to explain. He nodded attentively while listening to both of them, and after Maire had finished, he took in a deep breath, and exhaled before continuing.)

"Rest assured Rensain, I'll be ready. I'll be sleeping with one eye open from now on. Kharne will be my next port of call - there is much to discuss with him."

(He looked deeply into the fire, as if contemplating something, before turning to Rensain again)

"If you are going to request funds, make sure you keep my name off the books. As I said, I don't want my return announced just yet."

(Suddenly, his hand clenched in a fist, and he smashed it down on the arm of the chair he was sitting on.)

"Damn Carthallions! Using us like puppets for their own twisted games. We deserve better Rensain - I'd hope you can at least agree with that."

(He turned to Maire with a grateful nod)

"I would be grateful if I could stay the evening- then I will be gone and out of your hair at first light."
Back to top Go down
Maire Caladore

Maire Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-18, 13:59

Politics and machinations were her husbands prowess not hers but she did understand much of what was going on. Being married to Rensain there were times she hated the politics for it kept him away from her too much. She was proud of him however and he knew that he had her full support at any given time. The intricate details, the taking sides she avoided getting to involved with. She had her part and she did it well however it was Rensains arena.

She listened quietly to Duke Leto, jumped slightly when he made his vehement point and then nodded" Of course you are welcome to stay the length you choose. Whatever you have need of simply ask one of the servents. They are well aware of the standards we have for our guests and they will accomdate for your comfort" she smiled serenely finishing her bread. It had settled her stomach and she felt more herself. She reached accross and took Rensains hand and gave it a quick squeeze. A small affectionate gesture to show solidarity.

The rain continued to beat against the windows of the room. Lightening flashed and the sound of the almost ever present thunder shook the panes of glass slightly. It was cozy within, candles and the fire flickered a warmth accross the room. "Feuds between brothers effect more then just the brothers, especially when they hold power." she let out a slight sigh " There are those that work to try to see that the brunt does not fall upon the innocent, those such as my husband" she was indeed proud of him , for all his faults he loved Aegis and her people, and he worked harder then they would ever know to protect Aegis.
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-10-20, 06:51

(He waited a few moments before responding.)

"I'm sorry if I startled you. I've been.... edgy of late. Do not worry too much about servants attending me, I hate to be fussed over - though I thank you for the kind offer."

(He nodded towards Rensain)

"I'm glad that there are still some people with a sensible head on their shoulders. We best try hard to make sure that things stay that way."
Back to top Go down
Rensain Caladore

Rensain Caladore

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-11-25, 17:32

{It was some time before Rensain answered, his eyes dark and brooding with thought, fully set upon that of the Duke. Maire had spoken some kind words of him, which raised a small smile but the subject content was heavy indeed. Clasping his hands together infront of him, Rensain nodded before finally contributing to the conversation.}

"Many years ago....I spoke to Ava privately, I warned her the Carthallions would do this. She laughed at me. I conspired with one of her lovers, Tekke, and he too attempted to warn her. Kharne, he knew too well also.. If I recall, even Prince Jared himself told Ava not to ever be involved with such. Why she has not listened...I do not know."

{His hand came up to rub at his temples, and his wedding ring glistened.}

"Bathory was a Queen willing to die for her realm - now she has given up on it all. Perhaps the constant wars have worn her spirit? Whatever has happened, it is hard to trust her judgement."

{Something in his mind clicked, and he thought of how the Demon had held Bathory prisoner during the last war. His thoughts from this went to Vladamir's crazy feeding spree's of late...as if Vladamir were sacrificing the victims to something. Thinking quickly, memory flashed in his head. If SoulReaver was not dead, then it would have power over Bathory - assuming she was still one of his. It made him groan outloud, since the thought hadn't crossed his mind before.

Rising from his seat, he nodded to Maire and Leto muttering "excuse me..." as his legs took him to the entrance of the door. However, before he could reach it, a servant stopped him and whispered in his ear. Visibly he shook his head, and perhaps the first time in many centuries, his own face paled. Turning back to Maire, he was curt and forgot the pleasentries of having a guest.}

"Maire - I have just recieved word Jaric's troops have begun to march - get your things ready, we must leave. Leto, find Kharne and notify him, prepare the military in Grorr...go now before you are stopped in Jaric's wake."
Back to top Go down
Leto De Vries

Leto De Vries

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime2010-11-30, 06:21

(A knot formed in the pit of his stomach, and he nodded.)

"I hope we see each other again Rensain."

(With that, he immediately left the premises, and set out for Salarain with immediate haste.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Return... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Return...   A Return... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Return...
Page 1 of 1