Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Taking care of a few things.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

Taking care of a few things. Empty
PostSubject: Taking care of a few things.   Taking care of a few things. Icon_minitime2010-08-29, 14:08

Artimus rode in through the main gates of the city and dismounted while still moving, guiding Azure towards the stables. He used the other stables this time, best to avoid being noticed from yesterday and the rumours that had been flying around.
He wore his leather trousers, boots and shirt once again, and covered himself with the cloak. He paid the stablemaster and walked into the city, pulling the hood up to cover his face.

He headed first to the docks, showing his face to the harbourmaster and gaining access to the inner piers. He walked with confidence towards his boat, unlocking the cabin door and entering.

Inside he unlocked a small chest and took a few things out. He had taken some of his belongings to the cave already, but the rest remained here safe under lock and key. He took a fresh shirt - blue this time, a small box which he tucked into his pocket, a small purse of coins, a small dagger and forearm holster and a black full face mask. He took a few minutes to clean himself up and changed his shirt and attached the dagger and holster to his left arm, then relocked everything and left the harbour. The holster and dagger was hidden from view by his shirt.

He nodded to the harbourmaster and continued off into the depths of the city. The first part of his visit was completed. Now came the hardest part.

He walked slowly through the streets, not drawing attention to himself, and headed down a small street, finding the place he was looking for.

He moved to the side, leaning against a wall and watching the shop. He could see someone inside, a customer he assumed, and waited.
His eyes concentrated mainly on the inside of the shop, but he kept an eye on anyone passing the small street, to see if they paid any attention to him. No one seemed to.

The person inside the shop left and Artimus could now see the shop was empty apart from the shopkeeper. He walked over and inside the shop, throwing the door open, closed the door behind him, turning the key, and the closed sign, then pulled the blind down.

The woman behind the counter stood up and ran over.
"What do you think you're doing?" she started, then stopped as Artimus turned around.

What the hell am I doing? I'm coming to speak to you. What the hell are you doing? Is it normal business practise to poison your clients?

"Captain Morningstar! I..." she exclaimed.

He simply glared at her with the stare he used when questioning suspects.

Please, sit down and let us talk like civilised people

She complied and sat down behind the counter. Artimus remained standing, towering over her, his arms folded.

Yesterday I brought a young girl in to you for healing. You put poison in her wound, and now she is dead. His voice was even, matter-of-factly. If you didn't know he was lying, you would assume the girl meant nothing to him.

"Dead...? I didn't... I mean... No!" she stammered.
Artimus remained silent, waiting for her to explain herself.

"She can't be dead, the poison isn't supposed to have started effect until sundown today!"

Once more he stayed silent, his eyes boring into her.
She slumped in the chair, realising she had to tell the whole story.

"I added the poison, hoping you would bring the young girl back her tomorrow morning. It was only a small dosage, how could it have killed her?"

If you wanted me to return, you only had to ask. Why did you want me back tomorrow morning?

"You arrested my brother. He was caught stealing in Meriddia and he was arrested. While he was interred, he was beaten by another prisoner. He complained to you personally, but said you did nothing. He is free now, but when you came in, I saw our chance for revenge. I sent him a message and he will be here tonight, ready and waiting for you to return. To return the favour that you paid on him."

Artimus remained silent, thinking back. There were always tales of mistreatment from the prisoners, and usually they were a waste of time and resources to investigate.

You brother clearly holds it against me personally. Why did you bring an innocent girl into this?

"Would you have come back if I asked you?" she snarled to him, almost in tears.

He will be here tonight? What time?

"He won't now. I'll tell him to keep away. You'll be waiting now, you and your guards friends. He won't stand a chance, will he Captain?" She spat out his rank at him like an insult.

When I walked in here, I was prepared to kill you for what you did. Anyone who takes an innocent life deserves death.

"You're a member of the Royal Guards. You don't kill innocent people."

Perhaps you missed the news. I resigned. I'm not a Captain anymore.

Her eyes widened as she realised he meant to kill her.

How many other people have you poisoned to take revenge?

"No others!" she cried

He remained silent for a short time, eyes staring into her.

I was prepared to kill you for what you did. But I won't. In fact, I shall return tomorrow, alone, for your brother to take his revenge on me.

She gasped, her draw dropping.
"What trickery is this?"

No tricks, no weapons. Let him do to me what was alleged to have been done to him while in my care.

He turned to leave.

I have your word he wishes to hit me and not kill me?

She sat in silence, her jaw still on the floor as if she couldn't believe what was happening. She nodded.
"He.. he.. He never intended to kill you, just hurt you..."

He moved to the door, pulling the blind back up and turning the sign around.

Then I shall return tomorrow. I have your word I will never hear of you poisoning anyone else. Ever?

She nodded, still in shock.

Then I shall see, and your brother tomorrow.

And with that he unlocked the door and stepped outside.

He walked down the streets and found a small child begging at the side of the road. He knelt down beside him and spoke to him, then dropped the purse of coins into his hands. The boy smiled and Artimus ruffled his hair then stood up and headed back towards the stables, taking Azure out and heading off back towards Draco.
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

Taking care of a few things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking care of a few things.   Taking care of a few things. Icon_minitime2010-08-30, 11:51

((OOC: This next post happens the next day fromt he one above.))

Artimus arrived once more at the south gate, and went to the stables, speaking with the stabelmaster and explained when he returned he may not be in a position to pay the man, and may need help mounting his horse, and finally that he would appreciate complete descrition on this. No need to speak tot he authorites about it.
The man nodded as Artimus placed a few extra coins in his hand and assured his fears that he was doing nothing illegal. Then he headed into the town and headed towards the healers shop.
As he walked he could feel eyes on him. For once he ignored them. He guessed the healer and her brother didn't trust him, so hopefully by doing nothing they would be reassured he was alone as promised.
He reached the shop and found a large looking man standing nearby. Artimus walked over to him.

Good morning. he said cheerfully. The man gloared at him, then started looking around as if expecting hordes of guards to descend.
Should I go straight in, or do you want to rough me up first? The man looked back, eyes narrowing.
"What are you trying to pull here?"
Nothing, just wanting to get on with this before we bring undue attention to ourselves. Surely you can't expect to do it out here in the street?
Another man appeared around the corner. He looked at the large-looking man and shook his head. The large man simply grunted.
"We ain't doing it here. No, you go with him, he'll show you where. We don't want no surprises."
I quite agree. They can be so messy, can't they. Artimus turned and followed the new man, who twisted and turned through various alleyways and streets, clearly taking a route that would make it clear if anyone were following Artimus. Another reason not to have told Jade, he thought to himself.

They went through the rich area, where the merchants live, and Artimus spotted Mac's house; it looked deserted. They didn't go near his childhood home.

Eventually they headed back to the dock area, stil twisting and turning the route. Artimus still knew roughlt where they were, but it didn't matter. The leading man kept glancing behind him to ensure Artimus was still following. Artimus guessed there were several spotters along route looking for any change in pace or direction from anyone following.
They finally arrived a small warehouse, where the lartge looking bloke was standing.

Hello again. Artimus could be very annoying when he wanted to, and his cheerful manner was clearly riling this man. Two other men were standing nearby, and four more came up behind him. These must be the spotters.
Happy I'm alone now? He flashed another smile, clearly irritating the men.
"Get inside." one of them said and opened the door.

Artimus stepped inside and instantly felt a great weight in his stomach. He doubled over and gfelt another blow to the back of his head. With a thump he fell to the floor and the wold went black.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed as his eyes opened. His head hurt and he lifted a hand to rub it. Well, he tried to. It was tied down. So was the other one. Oh, this was unprofessional. He moved his legs. Yep, just as he thought. He opened his eyes and looked around.
The men were sitting in chairs nearby, playing cards and talking amongst themselves. He was in a sitting position, his arms tied behind his back and attached to the back of the chair. His legs were tied to one leg each. His boots had been removed and he felt sure he'd been searched for weapons. He smiled as he thought how much it would have irritated them to find nothing.

The men hadn't noticed him awake yet, and he felt pretty confident he could be half-way out of the bonds before they could react. But he had come here voluntarily and so it would remain.

Guys, anyone got a sandwich? Two of them jumped as he spoke, and they all looked over his way and started to stand up.
Bit unsporting, this, isn't it? One of the men - one he didn't recognise from earlier - walked forward. he had something shiny in his hands. Was it a knuckle duster?
"Well well well. You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment. I think we've all heard of that cocky mouth of yours, but I never would have believed it. Let's start by shutting it up, shall we?" And with a quick swing he connected with Art's jawbone. Artimus felt teeth go in, and blood rise in his mouth.
Oday, I dink we had a midunderdanding here...
"You won't learn, will you?" and he hit again. This time he was sure he felt the bone crack and he gave a scream of pain, his eyes losing focus. As they came back he saw the other men laughing.
"Well, what you got to say now?"

Artimus said nothing. he wasn't sure if he could.
"Good. Now you're getting it. That's your mouth sorted. Now for your eyes."

Artimus's eyes widened. This was not happening.

A blade appeared in the mans hand and he squatted on Artimus' lap, facing him. he waved the blade in front of Artimus, the point moving towards his left eye.
"Don't worry, we'll leave you with one. That'll be enough."
Artimus started to move his head away, but the man grabbed his head with his free hand, squeezing on his chin and jaw. The pain was exquisite.
Artimus felt himself gathering magic as the blade continued to wave across his field of vision.
"Look lads. Here is the great Captain Morningstar. See how he fears me, armed only with a blade." The man laughed, the others joining in.

Artimus created a spark of fire between his hands, setting the ropes and back of the chair on fire. That was slightly more fire than he had thought. He felt his hands burning, and the ropes loosening, the man on his lap jumping off him.
Artimus pushed up with his legs, making the chair jump in the air, and as it landed the legs shattered under is weight. He pulled his arms free, putting the fire out in one movement and dropping to a defensive posture.
His jaw still ached with a passion, and his hands felt hot, but he pushed that back now. The other men had gathered around, forming a circle around him. There was no way he could fight them all in this condition.

His legs were still hindered by the chair legs attached, but otherwise he was mobile. He started by striking at the main man, jumping up and kicking him in the face, then dropping down and rolling on his back - Damn that hurt - to whack the man directly behind him.
The man to his right kicked him, striking his ribs and Artimus felt a crack as one went. He jumped to his feet, pushing all his pain back, and spotted a gap in the circle.
He didn't want to drop and roll again, the pain on his back was too much, and he wasn't sure if he could get back up with his rib cracked. Another man grabed the remainder of the chair and crashed against him. He felt his left arm go limp, a bone appearing through his shirt in a red spot. That wasn't good either. He put his head down and run full speed through the gap he spotted and ran for the door. Locked.

Damn.

He turned back as they started to advance on him. Two of the men were still just getting back to their feet, but Artimus felt a little better now he didn't have to watch his back. He kicked as one entered his field of reach, then twisted his body to grab the man between his legs. The man fell to the floor and Artimus grabbed his forehead and pulled it backwards. There was a crack and the man stopped fighting. Another fist hit Artimus in the side, the same side his cracked rib was. Once more he screamed with pain, the scream sounding very odd with his jaw as it was.
He felt hands grabbing him and pulling him to his feet. They pinned him to the wall, holding him by his broken arm meaning he couldn't move.

Artimus took the chance to spit out a large pile of blood.

"We didn't sign up to kill no one" one voice said.
"Shut up." another said. It was the main man by the sound of things.
"How the hell did he get out of that? I thought you said he had nothing." yet another voice said.
"He gathered magic" a new voice said, a female voice. A woman appeared in Artimus's limited vision. He squinted.

Was that the healer?

"I didn't think the guards knew magic."
"Some did, they were trained at Draco. But I heard they all died."
"So how did he?"

The woman appeared to think. Artimus took the chance and gathered magic once more. He saw her eyes widen.

"He's doing it again. Let him go." she said with alarm. He felt the hands let him go.
"What the hell are you doing?" The main man spoke again.
"He has mage skills you fool! Who knows what he could do! Damn you, I'll have to move now. He knows who I am. Deal with..." That was all he heard as he felt another blow and the world fell dark once more.

The salty air woke him up. He was lying in the gutter near the docks, several coins on the floor near him. People thought he was a beggar. He stood up with difficulty and tried to speak, but he couldn't.
He looked down towards the main town, and decided against taking revenge. He was in no state to do so. Instead he limped slowly towards the south gate and the stables.

The stablemaster saw him coming and pulled Azure near, helping him on the horse and tipping his hat to him.
Without a word Azure started off down the path towards the forest. Artimus breathed a sigh of relief. It was worse than he had expected. But he was still alive, just, and Azure knew exactly what to do.
One hand gripped the reigns as Azure picked a path giving least motion. What a good horse he was.

Back to top Go down

Taking care of a few things.
Page 1 of 1