Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Building a new life

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

Building a new life Empty
PostSubject: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-21, 13:55

Artimus rode deep into the forest, his eyes constantly searching for what he was seeking.
After about an hour of searching, he found it.
It was a small cave.

He dismounted from the horse and tethered it loosely to a tree, taking the saddlebag off and starting to unpack outside the cave.
His first job was to chop down a small tree, so he would have firewood.
Next he went off into the forest (a very short way) to set a rabbit trap, using the rope and some of the wood.

Then he returned to the cave and sat down on a rock outside to read the paper.
He knew not to take everything he read in it as total fact, but is there in lies no truth?

Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 08:52

He had finished reading the paper, although it contained little information of value to him. He had also checked his trap, and taken his catch, which was prepared using his usual skills, and cooked over a small fire that he built.

Once he had eaten and rested he began the real work he had come here for.

Stripping down to his small clothes, he chopped another small tree down, and carved the trunk into a largish plank, about 9 feet tall, by 2 foot wide by 1 foot deep. He carefully wrapped some of the rope tightly around the top of this plank, fastening it into place, then buried the other end firmly into the soil.

The last 6 feet stuck out of the ground, and he experimentally gave it a punch. It stayed where it was.
Perfect.

Next he carved several concentric circles onto another tree trunk which was about 50 feet away from the cave entrance.

Then he climbed yet another tree and fastened another length of rope - it was lucky be had purchased such a long piece - to a firm branch high up. he let the end dangle down to the ground, then slid down it.

It held his weight, like he expected.

Once he was satisfied with these, he walked a short way away from the cave, to a small lake. There he went in and bathed for a short time, before coming out and lying on the rocks nearby to dry off in the setting sun.

Tomorrow the real work would begin.
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 14:19

~sitting on her horse on the edge of the woods. she closes her eyes and thinks of her dad sending a ml~

"Father.. let me know when we can meet. I did that checking for you."
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 14:25

He heard the mind link from Jade, smiling as he realised he hadn't tested it with her yet.
How had she managed to track him to the forest already though? He was very careful not to leave any trail or tracks.

Maybe it was because they were father and daughter. Would it work with him; could he find where she is?

He concentrated. Yes, she was near the edge of the forest, near where he had entered.

"Are you followed?" he said in reply to the link.
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 14:30

~she grins as he responded.~

"No but if you want me to come to you. I will return my horse to the stable. I can get to you alot easier without anyone knowning."
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 14:36

He decided to make it her first test.

"Ok" he sent to her "Come to me when you're ready."

He put some clothes on, extinguished the fire and moved further into the forest, taking care not to leave a trail.
After a few minutes of walking, he climbed a tree, and sat, waiting between a fork in two branches, partly hidden from view, but with him being able to peek through the leaves.
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 14:57

~and with that she runs the horse back to the stable and talks to the stable hand. Handing him a letter to be sent first thing in the morning to where her fathers horse was along with somethings she thought he would want.~

"Thank you for doing this." she smiles to the stable hand and gives him a few extra coins.

~she walks to the back of the stables and slips off her boots and places them into her bag. wiggling her toes in the dirt.~
"This may wear me out but its the best way." ~slowly she melts into ground moving thru the ground and then once with in the forest she slowly came out of the ground not too far from where she thought she had felt him be at. She dusts herself off and breathing fairly heavy as doing what she did takes it out of her. She crouches down still bare feet as she scans the area.~
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:05

Art remains up the tree, hearing a noise coming from a little way ahead of his field of vision.
He was loathed to link with her again, as he felt that might tip her off.
He picked a small acorn from one of the branches, being careful not to move too fast and expose the tree, then he threw it over to his right, hearing it clatter as it hit the ground. That should draw her attention over that way.

His hand moved slowly down to his belt, removing a small knife, just in case it wasn't his daughter.

Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:17

~she listened closely then heard something fall. as she slowly stood up and moved toward the sound. Misstepping and tripping over some stupid rock she tucks and roll. and makes it look like she did it on purpose but someone seeing how it started would know she tripped.~

Softly speaking outloud," Great Jade that was so graceful." ~she shakes her head alittle. looking around~

" Dad? you around here?" ~she hops around alittle and shakes her leg alittle as she walks.~
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:26

He saw her enter his field of vision, and saw her stumble. He made a mental note that she needed to be more aware of her surroundings.
He remained silent as she called out him.
He watched and waited as she walked slowly toward the tree, holding his breath. His old senses were starting to return; he still wasn't as fit as he used to be, but he could work on that. For now, he could enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the chase.

He waited until she stopped moving, then raised his arm very slowly, holding the knife by the tip, and took aim.
The knife darted through the air towards the ground by her feet.
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:34

~looking around at standing by the tree she tilted her head she took a step back. as the knife hit the ground." what the.." she looks up into the tree.~

Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:41

He smiles down at her, then drops to the ground with a small grunt of effort.

Good going, I wasn't sure how good your hunting skills were. He pats her on the shoulder.
Now, what have you found out?
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 15:49

~smiles alittle~
"Well from what I was looking thru and I talked to a few guards you are in the clear. I am guessing for as long as you where gone things were forgotten. Also I found out that there is something going on at the library in Draco. There was a small report about some strange things going on there."

~she sat on a bigger rock and pulled out her boots and slipped them back on and slid her daggers back into her boots. Takes a deep breath.~

"Seriously wish mom was still around. Moving thru the ground drains me. There is got to be a way of doing it."

Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 16:33

Jade, I can't face Draco right now.
We'll go there, I promise, and when I go, I'll take you with me. But I can't face that city right now. There are too many bad memories.
I'm sorry.

He put his hand on her shoulder, knowing how she must be missing her mother.
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 18:15

~she nods~

"Don't worry.. as much as I know I should go...I haven't been able to bring myself to go there...Dad..I know what mom was told why you left...but why did you leave her? The way she talked about you she loved you and she says you did to....but she was told that you left with a lady...oh i forgot the name...mom said she was an ex of yours..."

~she looks up at him~

"Sorry I know... to much.. its ok you don't have to answer now...You have had to take in alot lately. Its kinda overhelming."
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-22, 22:56

He moved to sit down on the floor, next to where she stood, looking up into her eyes and holding her gaze.

Jade, there are emotions that we all feel, that sometimes overpower our basic needs, our very thoughts.
Imagine someone has hurt you, and you wished them dead. You can spend hours sitting, thinking of ways to kill them and make them suffer.
The thoughts of it occupy your mind; making you lose concentration on whatever you are meant to be doing.
It's all you can focus on, pure rage.

Have you ever felt anything like that?
he asked gently.

Now, imagine the exact opposite. A love that is so deep that it overpowers your basic needs, your very thoughts.
Someone you love so much, who makes your heart flutter when they walk into the room, someone who you can't wait to be with if you're apart from them?

I had those feelings for your mother.

But, I also had them for someone else.

He broke her gaze.

If you've never felt that kind of love before, then this will be hard for you to understand, but I was torn. From the moment I met your mother, my heart was ripped apart. And when I had to make a choice...

Was that a tear in his eye?

I knew your mother was strong and could take care of herself. Or, so I hoped.

He looked up at her again, his face a smorgasbord board of emotion.

I have made some bad decisions in my life, but this one I really do regret. I just hope, when you're older, you can forgive me.
Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-23, 02:10

~she looked at him as he spoke.~

"Yes I know of that rage.." ~she said quietly remembering the day she found out about her mother.~

~watching his face as he spoke of the love side of it. and she didn't know he had felt that way about someone else to...she took a deep breath blinking trying to keep her emotions in check~

"I haven't experienced that kind of love yet.. but i know love is the most powerful thing in all the world."

~when he looked back at her with all those emotions...she couldn't hold them in check as a tear fell. she wiped her face.~

"Do I have to be older to forgive you? You came back..I know it might be to late for mom..*another tear falls.* But you are here now. and I know mom always hoped you would...now maybe I can have some direction in my life. I have had very few people in my life that I let in close. Mom was alittle protective. Gilligan is the closes person to me here. The few times I have spend with him have been really nice. But the way mom always talked about you...I have never hated you. I loved you even tho you where here. I kinda thought of it as you had gone off to fight evil in a distant land."
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-23, 13:15

He could see in her the same vulnerabilities that he had himself.

Yes, I'm back now, and I plan to be here for as long as I can.

He looks at her, thinking he will have to pay this Giligan a visit at some point, to see if he was suitable for his daughter.

Now, you told me you wanted to join the guards. Is that what you really want?

Back to top Go down
Jade Blake

Jade Blake

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-23, 14:11

"Actually was doing some training with them...then my abilities the ones i got from mom starting kicking in. I have taught myself how to use stone and am still learning fire.. But I was always afraid they might know some how I was your daughter so I always just did what was required not trying to stand out in anyway. One night I left my barrick and was sneaking into the castle to see if they knew of anything about moms things and I nearly ran over Gilligan.. well he thought he almost ran me over. He is quite tall. We ended up talking and walking around. It was nice to have someone to connect to..cause ralean is his only family. and well up until recently.. I was my only family." ~she smiles~

"Anyway.. my reason for joining was I wanted to be strong like mom and you. To be able to help. To be able to defend myself from things. And protect those I care about. The problem with there training there. They didn't teach me anymore then what mom had."

~she looked at him~

"Why? Can you teach me things?"
Back to top Go down
Artimus Morningstar

Artimus Morningstar

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime2010-07-23, 14:53

((OOC: We continued this in the chatroom ( Shocked We actually Role-Played.. IN the chatroom!!!) ))

* Artimus Morningstar looks at his daughter.
Artimus Morningstar : Yes, I can teach you. I know a thing or two about being not just a guard, but a Royal Guard. But my original question still stands. Do you want to be a guard, or learn how to fight? Because they are two different things, and I need to know which one to teach you.

Jade Blake : she looks at him," Don't you need to know how to fight to be a guard?"

Artimus Morningstar : Yes, but am i teaching you how to be a guard and defend the realm, or how to handle yourself in a street brawl?
Artimus Morningstar : Before you answer, let me tell you what being a guard means
Artimus Morningstar : Choosing to be a guard isn't just a job. It becomes your life. You have no life outside of your duty.
Artimus Morningstar : You can have friends, but it's more the fool on you if you do.
Artimus Morningstar : I had a friend once. His name was James. He was the best damn friend I have ever known, outside of the guards.
* Artimus Morningstar sits down as he speaks

Jade Blake : then? how did you have a life with mom and that other woman?

Artimus Morningstar : One night, James played a trick on me. The queen found out about the trick and ordered james arrested. I hesitated, because James was my friend.
Artimus Morningstar : That moments hesitation was enough to allow him to open a portal and flee to Marloc, where he sought sanctuary. Myself and the Queen went there to negotiate his release. The payment for his capture was reinstatment on the council for the Lord of marloc.

Jade Blake : nods and listens.

Artimus Morningstar : One moments hesitation by me caused the entire political makeup to shift. Had he been anyone other than my friend, i would have arrested him there and then.
Artimus Morningstar : As for my relationship with Indis... She, and the Duchess both knew where my loyalties lied.
* Artimus Morningstar looks sad.
Artimus Morningstar : And that is why i have no wish to return to that life, and why i ask you if this is the life you would choose.

Jade Blake : no..its partly the reason why i haven't been back to the guards. It wasn't what i wanted. After mom I was just...numb.. and did the only thing i could think of..

Artimus Morningstar : Right, so you don't want the hard knock life of the guard. I can teach you what you need to know.
* Artimus Morningstar stands up
Artimus Morningstar : First things first. Hit me.

* Jade Blake nods and stands up
* Jade Blake tilts her head to the side. Swing her right hand towards his head.

* Artimus Morningstar stands and takes the shot, making no effort to defend or block. His head snaps back as he feels the pain shoot through his mouth.
* Artimus Morningstar spits some blood onto the ground.
Artimus Morningstar : Yeah, that wasn't bad.

*Jade Blake makes a face
Jade Blake : why didn't you try to block or move?

Artimus Morningstar : Because I needed to know what I'm working with. There will be time to block later. For now, I needed to know.
* Artimus Morningstar smiles
Artimus Morningstar : And now I know.

Jade Blake : you have an interesting way of doing things.

* Artimus Morningstar laughs
Artimus Morningstar: You have no idea yet. Right, it's getting late. If you are serious about learning what i can teach you, then come back here tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a new life   Building a new life Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building a new life
Page 1 of 1