Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Houseguest

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-13, 20:38

::With a glance back toward her guest and a heavy sigh, she leads him off the road just outside the city, but still within sight of the gates. Her small two-room cabin sits nestled among the trees, far enough from any other homes for her comfort, close enough that she's not in the wilderness. She unlocks the door and steps inside, leaving it open for "Uncle Fergus" to follow. With the casualness of familiarity, she drops her bag onto one of the chairs around a long wooden table.

The room is a combined kitchen, dining room, living area, with several extra tables crammed into any open spaces around the walls, mostly covered with bits of fabric, scraps of wood and string, beads, and other craft supplies. High on the walls all around the room are crafted decorations of all shapes and sizes and designs. There are two doors, one that leads out the back to the woods, which is barred on the inside, and one that leads into a much smaller bedroom. Things are slightly cluttered but not unclean.

Feigning comfort, she takes a seat on the very edge of the sofa in a corner of the main room containing it and a worn armchair and folds her hands in her lap, watching Fergus to see what he will do::

Please come in, Uncle. My home is your home, apparently. It isn't much, but it suits my needs.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-13, 20:47

~He walks inside the small cabin, looking over it with a practised eye more out of habit than necessity. Closing the door behind himself he sighs, pulling the blindfold up from over his eyes, and pulling off his cloak, folding it over his arm. He turns his lamp-like eyes on Meghan, an open friendly smile on his face.~

'Cosy lil' place yeh've made here fer yerself.'

~He walks further in, casting his eyes over all of the decorations and trinkets.~

'Don' worry girl, i won' be gettin in yer way.' He paused by the armchair. 'May i sit? Don' want yeh thinkin' i don' be havin no manners.'

~Again he smiles watching her to gauge her reaction~
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-13, 20:58

Of course. Make yourself comfortable.

::Now that they're no longer in public, her manner is much more reserved, cautious.::

I think we need to... establish... some things. You threatened my life back in the city. Is that something I need to be worried about now that we're alone, or can I attempt to trust you? I'll tell you true, that if you play nice, so will I, and we'll get along just fine I'm sure. I'm not much with weapons, which you'd find out sooner or later if you've a mind to, so please tell me now if I'm going to end up playing the part of the helpless maiden.

::She smiles slightly, but she's only half joking::

There's only one bedroom, but the couch is comfortable enough. You'll be welcome to come and go as you please, and I expect to be given the same courtesy. I don't want any trouble if it can be helped.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-13, 21:08

~He grimaces, as she talks, regretting his earlier actions.~

'I was merely trying to get your attention,' He said, all traces of his accent gone now. His voice is surprisingly rich considering his gruff appearance. 'I put on personalities as most people do clothing. I try not to kill people wherever possible, i may end up needing them later and its very hard to cure a bad case of dead.'

~Once again smiling, he slides off his boots and lowers himself into the armchair, groaning with pleasure.~

'As for trouble, Meghan, that's something else i avoid at all costs, hence the theatrics in the city. If i think anyone is following me i will lead them on a merry little hunt.' He smiles at the thought, he hasn't had a decent game for years. 'Don't let my staying here mess up your routine any. Of course 'Uncle Fergus' will need to be seen occasionally, but for the most part i can come and go in various guises, so i shan't need you to play guide often either.'

~he leans his chin on his hands, attempting to read her mood.~
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-14, 20:30

Not often, hm?

::She allows a faint smile but doesn't relax. Absently, she reaches over to a nearby table and extracts some lengths of colored ribbons, which she begins weaving together in a simple pattern. It's nothing she was working on, but it helps her ground herself. The vague thought crosses her mind that she's probably more unsettled at having someone in her home than she is by how he came to be there in the first place.

My work is quiet. It shouldn't bother you, but if I need to make noise I'll do it in the bedroom. Sometimes I work with wood. Small pieces, anyway, I'm not a carpenter.

:A soft sigh escapes her as she realizes she's babbling::

You'll have to excuse me. I'm not used to company. I can get you some blankets, if you're tired. Or there's food in the cabinets, a little anyway. I'll have to get some more tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-14, 22:57

~His brow furrows slightly~

'You're one of a kind Meghan. Not many people worry about inconveniencing you in their own home. Don't tiptoe around me, do as you normally would.'

~he reaches up his sleeve and pulls out a small purse from a secret pocket and tosses it to the table smiling~

'That should more than cover a few nights lodging and food, use it as you will, i can get more.'

~Relaxing deeper into the chair, he sighs, thinking. Not even a day in this city and trouble already, he needed to know more about this place. Tomorrow he would have to steal a new disguise and try to find out more, daylight would be best, his glowing eyes are a lot less noticeable by daylight.

He folds his arms in his lap, he is used to dealing with murderers and thieves. Unsure of what to say he sits quietly watching Meghan weaving the ribbons~

Last edited by Kaeleth Raennor on 2009-12-18, 12:49; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-16, 10:20

Maybe my brain is addled. It's not every day I have my life threatened, after all.

::She offers a small smile to show that she's joking, mostly, and eyes the purse on the table::

I won't lie, that'll be a help, and I'm not too proud to accept it. I earn enough for myself, but not much extra. And I won't ask where it came from, either.

::Her fingers weave the ribbons deftly, but after a moment, she looks down and shakes her head, then sets about picking out the weave, murmering to herself::

Wrong colors for that. So, I'd ask what's brought you to Meriddia, but is that a story you'd care to share?
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-18, 13:10

~He smiles, genuinely amused, as she mentions not asking where he got the coin from. Rubbing his chin he considers his next answer.~

'How i came to Meriddia, it's a long tale, i'll try to keep it shorter.' He looks out of the window for the briefest of moments before look ing back at Meghan. 'It goes back around a hundred years, i stole from the wrong people. Evil buggers cursed me, turned my eyes white.'

~Shuddering at the memory of the day it first happened, he looks away again, staring blankly into space as he continues.~

'I was thrown out of every place i visited, didn't make a good thief any more being so memorable now. Not many people forget a guy with eyes like candles. I travelled a lot, didn't stay in one place to long, been on the move for as long as i can remember. Village to village, disguising myself and taking what i needed to get by.

I used to hear all sorts of stories on my travels, although it seems in recent years i heard more and more travellers talking about this kingdom, and believe me they almost made it sound like a legendary place. Not quite what i found though.

I stepped of the docks, only to be attacked in the port. Im pretty used to that reaction, usually its shout's of 'Witch' or 'Demon' but either way i usually get mobbed. I dealt with the commotion quickly and ran, i am quite agile and fast when its necessary.' A slight smile crosses his face as he remembers, guards can be so clumsy.

'I had little choice at that point,' he continued. 'I was in Cape Sloan, or Slain, or something, no idea of the territory, didn't know anyone. I even tried to make contact with the 'underside' of civilisation there, they too didn't want anything to do with me. So i blended in, nobody really notices a beggar so i disguised myself among them until the whispers of my arrival lessened somewhat.

I left soon after, got directions to the capital, figured i'd check it out, might have more luck in the underworld here. Even got a ride with friendly farmer who dropped me less than a league outside the city walls. So here i am. A whole century of my life and not much to show for it. A long life isn't all it's cracked up to be.'

~He turns back to her, a serious look on his face~

'I have my reasons for being the way i am, a lot can happen when you've lived this long,' he shakes his head. 'Enough about me, why does a girl like yourself hide away in the woods?'
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-18, 13:33

::Her smile slips as she listens to his story, noting some surprising similarities, and she can't help but relax a bit. When he stops, she sighs softly, not sure of what she should tell him.::

I know well what it's like to be thought a witch or a demon, and I had my fill of it. My reasons are... a little more personal. I didn't steal anything, and I didn't hurt anybody whatever they say, but in some parts of the world, people try to kill what they don't want to understand. So I wandered for a while, got chased out of a few places myself, till I learned to keep to myself. I make things, decorations and baubles... Charms, if you believe in that sort of thing, though I never claim they work any more than anything else. Like this one.

::She slips a hand into a pocket and pulls out a round, flat piece of wood about the size of her palm, carved with intricate designs and decorated with bits of string and colored beads in an odd pattern. She stares at it a moment, then hands it across to Kaeleth with a very serious and somewhat worried expression::

To guard your dreams. It's never worked for me, but maybe you'll have better luck with it.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-18, 13:43

~Smiling slightly he takes the charm, turning it over in his hand, examining it.~

'Is this one of yours?' he asks, rubbing his thumb over the carvings. 'It's fine craftmanship, i don't set much store by charms, but it is the thought, not the deed, that counts as they say. You never know, it may help somewhat.'

~Coughing to clear his throat, he realises how parched he is.~

'Could i trouble you for a drink? I'd get it myself but i already feel i have invaded your space enough for one day.'

~The last he says with a smile and a light tone in his voice, attempting to lighten the mood. He can't help but worry about her, and his instinct tells him she is hiding something. It's not really his business though, so he pushes the thought aside~
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-18, 14:01

I made it, yes. One of the first I ever made. I met an old woman once who made them, and she taught me. That was when I started making things. They sell surprisingly well, most places.

::She gets up, glad for a reason to be doing something, and sets her ribbons carefully back down on the table as she passes it on the way to the corner of the room serving as a kitchen. Peering into some of the cabinets, she finally pulls out a bottle of ale and one of a dark cider, then pulls two sturdy glasses from another cabinet:

Ale, or cider, if you don't mind them warm. Or there's water in the rain barrel out back. I keep it clean. And it's no trouble, you can help yourself as long as you're here. Especially if you're buying.

::A hint of a smile twinkles in her eyes::
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-18, 14:49

~Grinning wide, he looks at the bottles, appearing to weight up each one~

'Ale for me,' his grin widens. 'Nothing better after a long day than a nice col... err warm glass of ale.'

~He exaggerates the slip, feeling more at ease his easier nature begins to show.~

'I am going to go exploring tomorrow, tell me Meghan, what should i expect in this city. What are the guards like, and the people, anything you can think of.'
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-18, 15:00

::A short laugh comes out suspiciously like a little snort as she pours ale into the two glasses. She puts the bottle back where she'd taken it from, then takes the glasses back to Kaeleth, handing him one as she sits back down on the sofa::

I'll have you know, a bit of spice and this is very nice warmed up on a winter's night.

::She takes a drink and settles herself more comfortably, feeling a little more at ease herself::

I told you, I keep to myself, mostly. But the palace is in Meriddia, so you probably want to avoid mischief if you can help it. I can't imagine the king and queen would take too kindly to someone making trouble right under their noses. I'm sure there are all kinds here, though. There are everywhere else, after all. I don't trouble the guards, and they don't trouble me. Nice enough, most of them, as long as you don't get in their way. Probably more professional, let's say, here than in other cities, with the palace so close, except maybe Grorr. People go about their business here the same as anywhere else. I'd say, as cities go, it's mostly a safe place. Sorry if that's a disappointment to you.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-19, 01:09

~He takes the proffered glass, taking a long draught. Smacking his lips with a contented sigh, he settles himself back into the chair.~

'Me? Avoid mischief?' He pauses chuckling. 'I try to avoid mischief, i just think it gets lonely because it always tracks me down.'

~Smiling he nestles the cup in his lap, wrapping his fingers around it. He looks Meghan in the eye, a little more serious yet still light-hearted.~

'I think you'd be surprised by how much criminal activity slips by guards, even the smarter ones. Besides tomorrow is an educational trip, i'm not in the market for attention, keeping a lower profile will mean i don't have to invent too many disguises.'
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-19, 18:21

Mischief has that way about it, doesn't it? I wouldn't know much about criminal activity, though. I try to avoid it as much as possible, but each to his own, I suppose. Just don't ask for any help with your disguises. I won't ask where you've been or what you've been doing, but I won't aid it, either. Things are safer for both of us that way, I think.

::She shakes her head ruefully::

Truth be told, I don't even know what possessed me to try and help you. I'm a sucker for troublemakers, I suppose, and anyone else down on their luck. It's either a gift or a curse, I haven't decided which.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-20, 20:54

~He laughs, lightheartedly~

'You misunderstand me, i left most of that life behind a long time ago. I only need to make contact with those types because they generally have a clearer picture of the way things are. If I'm considering making my stay in Aegis more permanent I need to know what I'm walking into.'

~He takes another drink from his glass, wiping his mouth with his sleeve~

'Well, whatever the reason i am grateful for the help. I don't know what I'm running from yet, but that's what I intend to find out tomorrow.'
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-20, 21:01

::She nods thoughtfully, sipping absently from her own glass as she finds herself relaxing still further::

I'm glad to hear it, I won't lie. Aegis is a nice place, mostly, as far as I've seen. And if it's an honest life you're looking for, well, that I'd be happy to help with. But what makes you think you're running from something?
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-20, 21:17

~He looks down at his glass thinking. How much should he tell her. He hasn't fully trusted anyone in over 50 years.~

'It's just something i know, my instincts are keen and i have learned to trust them.'

~He looks up at her, meeting her eyes~

'It's very hard to explain.'
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-20, 21:47

::A small smile just touches her lips, and she holds up a hand as if to stop him::

I understand. I'm not about to pry into your personal life. Tell me what you like, but I won't press.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-20, 22:02

~For a slight moment relief passes across his face, disappearing almost as quickly as it came.~

'It's not that I don't trust you Meghan,' he pauses,thinking. 'Well not entirely. I won't lie to you, but i may not tell you the whole story either. My life has come with it's own share of problems, and for half a century i have dealt with them alone. The last person i let in, she...'

~He is flooded by unwanted memories, his expression turns melancholy.~

'Well let's just say it maybe best to sometimes not know too much.'
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2009-12-22, 13:26

::The change in his expression startles her, but she tries her best to keep her own face from showing it. To give herself a moment to think, she drinks the rest of her ale and considers the bottom of her cup with a sigh before looking back at Kaeleth::

Trust is earned, and we've just met. I told you I won't pry, and I mean it. But I'll also offer my ears if there's anything you do want to talk about.

::She sets her glass down on the table and picks up her ribbons again, making a face as she picks out her work yet again::

For now, are you hungry? Tired?
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2010-02-22, 21:55

~Kaeleth closes his eyes, taking a deep breath. It has been a long day and a wave of tiredness seems to hit him at the mere mention of sleep. He stifles a yawn behind one hand, chuckling as he recovers.~

'If you want the company then I am fine, though I guess I wouldn't mind a few hours of sleep. I may have a long day tomorrow, I have to find out how the land lies and see if i can figure out my next steps.'

~He pulls his cloak over himself, shifting into a more comfortable position and smiling at Meghan.~

'I am not usually a guest in anybodies house, I don't want to offend you or anything, or even get in the way. I will try to get my affairs in order as fast as possible, and then i will be out from under your feet.'

~He gives her a weary smile, leaning back, relaxed, on the chair.~
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2010-02-23, 19:51

I suppose it is getting a little late, at that.

::She sets aside her ribbons and gets up from her seat, moving over to the door to the bedroom. She slips inside and comes back after a minute with a folded blanket and a small pillow, which she tosses down where she'd been sitting with a faint smile, then goes back to the bedroom door::

It's not luxurious, but hopefully it will be enough. Help yourself to whatever you can find, if you get hungry. I'm not an early riser, but you don't need to worry about waking me if you're up and about. Just do whatever you do.
Back to top Go down
Kaeleth Raennor

Kaeleth Raennor

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2010-02-23, 20:06

~Kaeleth smiles at her again, smothering another yawn~

'Thanks again Meghan, I will most likely be awake when you rise. I never sleep late, it's one of those things when you live a nervous lifestyle.'

~He rose slowly from the chair in which he had been resting walking slowly over to the sofa. He picked up the pillow, laying it on the sofa. He laid down on the sofa, pulling the blanket over himself.~

'I am pretty quiet when I move around so you don't have to worry about being rudely awoken in the morning.'

~He smiles one more time stretching out his body. A couple of his joints make the muffled crack as he stretches accompanied by a contented sigh.~
Back to top Go down
Meghan

Meghan

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime2010-02-23, 20:20

Sweet dreams.

::The whispered words are accompanied by a very serious, troubled expression that she isn't aware isn't masked. She doesn't wait for a response, just steps back into her room and closes the door behind her. There is no lock on the door, and she stands there for a long moment wondering if she should move something in front of it, then decides that if her guest meant her harm, he could have done it any time since their arrival. With a sigh, she climbs into her bed and stretches out on top of the covers, but she keeps her eyes wide open, determined not to fall asleep.::

((OOC: I don't want to assume Kaeleth is going right to sleep, so just let me know if he is or not. Smile ))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Houseguest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Houseguest   Houseguest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Houseguest
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Cities :: Meriddia-
Jump to: