Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Opening Moves...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kinsen

Kinsen

The Opening Moves... Empty
PostSubject: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-08-09, 22:29

=Arrayed before the main harbor of Del Fuaco, the Auroran Batlle fleet rests in force. A roving perimeter of their faster ships moves behind and beyond them, as a type of rear-guard.

In the midst, within bombardment range of their own weapons, but outside the range of the smaller Aegean ships, sit the pride of the Auroran fleet, two huge steel ships, shining in the sun.

Aboard one of these vessels, Kinsen stands, looking out at the hive of villainy and scum before him. His task was distasteful, but even scum had their uses.

A small boat had rowed forth to the pirate harbor the night before, bearing a small number of men under a banner of truce. The men had made it clear that the fleet was there to discuss terms with the most powerful of the pirates, and any self-styled ruler of the city. They had given their ultimatum of dawn for the captains to arrive at the larger of the two steel ships, unarmed, under banners of truce. If, at the appointed time, the boats were not in the water, by no uncertain measure, the harbor and city would be razed to rubble and bones, starting with the ships.

After their return, kinsen had prepared himself mentally and physically for this ordeal. Now, as dawn apprached, he was scanning the waves for any sign of the small boats arriving. He was arrayed for battle, in case they had ignored his summons. Grasping the rail with both hands, he allowed himself a small smile. With this, he felt home once more.=
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-05, 19:51

Word had gotten around rather fast that there was a disturbance at the pier, and despite its urgency, Captain Scarlet made sure she'd finished her tankard of ale before rising from her seat. The tavern of pirates all looked to her with a strange curiosity and call for leadership.

"Aye, I'll go." She told them, tightening the buckle of her belt and checking that her weapons were all in place. Good, they hadn't been stolen. "Come and follow me. Men, lets go, Aye!" Confidently she strode from the bar and allowed all of the other miscreants and thieves to crawl from their rocks to follow her through the wild streets until finally, she stood at the docks and blinked, seeing the ships. "Telescope, now." she ordered, like a Dr needing a Scalple.

"Urgh, fuck. Damn Aurorans...." she muttered, getting a better look outwards. "What in hells name of a' ship is THAT???" she winced, as if that would help increase the view. "George, get me a boat suitable of meetin' the gent, eh?" Perhaps the mission was one of suicide, but Scarlet had a habit of ignoring a mild thing called survival.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-13, 21:32

=Kinsen continued to watch, noting some movement at the docks. He gave a quiet order to slowly array to battle formation, in case the parlay was a diversion. He stood calmly, hands against the rails as the dawn began to break upon the water, noting with a calm heart the beauty of the light splayed across the short breakers. This was where he felt at home.

The orders were sent to the arrayed fleet to prepare for battle. At any sign of hostility, their orders were to demolish the pirate fleet and the harbor. Specific orders were given to his marines that if the rowers coming to meet them were armed, to sink the small dinghy. He closed his eyes a moment to revel in the salt air, awaiting the determined time of meeting, wondering if it would bring with it death...=

Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 16:51

Scarlet had sent orders to fetch one of the mid sized vessels from port, making note to George that it didn't matter whose the boat belonged to, so long as it wasn't her own. This being said with the thought that should the Aurorans be angered, they would be sinking a ship she didn't give a damn about.

By the time the boat was ready, the Aurorans had already formed their battle formation. Still staring at the fleet, she tutted and shook her head. "I get the feelin' they ain't pleased." She muttered to whoever was near enough to listen. "Aright, lets get this over with, eh?" and so, there was another wait whilst Scarlet boarded with some other members of crew and finally approached the main vessel. Thankfully it was before dawn.

"Signal to them, George, an' make it friendly, like. Put the truce flag up, eh? They dun like no surprises, the Aurorans." She caught what appeared to be Kinsen, and looked on the boat to see if, by some strange fluke, Wulfgang was there.

"Ahoy, Me Mateys! Welcome to Del Fuaco!" She waved, proud as a peacock. "You was lookin' for a Captain, eh? Well here I am."
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 20:12

=Kinsen allows a humorless smile. He admired the boldness of this pirate already. He reflected that it would perhaps be a shame to kill so lively a spirit, criminal or no. Still, business was business.

Nodding his head in greeting, he ordered a rope ladder rolled to the ship below, and stepped away from the rail. His marines were at the ready, and he could no more prepare them than they already were. He took his pre-determined place on the deck, flanked by a piar of marines with cocked and loaded crossbows. Crossing his hands at the wrist before him, the fingers of his left hand flexed slowly.

This is how they would find him as they ascended the rope ladder to the deck. Waiting, and ready for the eventualities...=
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 20:43

There would be a few moments of waiting as Scarlet took the rope ladder and climbed up, instructing George to follow her. Upon reaching the top, she had to look around and marvel at the metal ship. She couldn't grasp how it was floating.

Turning to Kinsen, Scarlet offered a warm grin and held out her hand.

"I'm Captain Scarlet, the men sent me to speak for 'em. I hope you 'Ave no problem dealing with a woman?" She smirked somewhat and held out her hand for him to shake. "So, what can I be doin' for yer today?"
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 20:59

=Kinsen takes the proferred hand in a warrior's salute, his steel guantlet proof against any poisoned rings. He grins. 'no more than you have dealing with a man, Captain."

Kinsen gestures to the assembled ships around his own. "I am here on simple business, Captain Scarlet. I am offering letters of mark for every captain of a ship on this island. You will be sanctioned by King Jaric of Aurora to freely board and commandeer and ships found flying the Aegean flag, and any foreign, non-Auroran vessels on trading routes to supply mainland Aegis. In return, you'll be assured a measured of amnesty, continued rights to self-govern this island as you see fit, and a share of the conquered lands, in propoerty or land holdings as seen fit. All we ask is that a portion of all seized goods be delivered to our navy as a levied tax and tribute. Any who wish to refuse must forfeit their ships to us, or risk being executed as criminals and traitors."

He smiles pleasantly. "The alternative, as you may have heard, is that we sink every ship at anchor where it sits, decimate your harbor with our fleet, and hang any pirate we find here for their crimes."

Shrugging his broad shoulders, Kinsen looks Scarlet straight in the eye. "I am aware the offer is not much, but it is the bst you're like to get. Be aware, that at the first sign of a double-cross, all of your lives will be forfeit. However, the benefits if you agree will be enormous." He looks past her, to the harbor. "We are not ungenerous. However, we will not leave potential enemies at our back. I will grant leave for you to take my offer to the other captains. Those who will stand with us are welcome here, by no later than high noon. Any ship attempting to leave before this deadline without a letter of mark will be destroyed. Any aggressive action will result in the destruction of the entire port."

"If a captain wishes to relinquish his ship to us, he too may arrive and recieve compensation for his vessels. All others will be marked criminals, and I promise you, they will die. Not as men, but as common criminals." His tone brooks very little argument.=
Back to top Go down
One-Eyed George

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 21:22

* As they board the ship, George scans the surrounding fleet, not failing to note the fact that the ship they are currently boarding is wearing more armor than a royal knight and has no discernable catapults or ballista visible. The black smoke trailing into the air makes him more nervous than curious, since fire on a ship can almost certainly mean death to the sailors aboard under normal circumstances.*

~* I don't like it captan...metal shouldn't float, and I don't see any weapons...this is an evil ship, run by an evil man...mark my words this will be a bad idea.*~

~ George's speach comes across as a series of barely intelligible mutterrings that are only relly understood by the cabin boy and those people who REALLY focus on what he is saying.~
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 21:46

There would be a few more moments of silence as she tried to process the information, and she stood there with her hands calmly clasped in front of her.Then, finally, she nods.

"You're asking me to..betray my King and country" Thinking of the alternative, she shrugged and grinned. "Aye, alright then, where do I sign?" Scarlet paused and looked into his eyes, her tone confident and certain "I won't be needing leave, Captain..er..your name, if you please?" Scarlet continued regardless " I'm speaking for all the Captains on Del Fuaco when I say we are in agreement with your er..most generous offer. "
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 22:00

=Kinsen smiles thinly. "Let me assure you, Captain Scarlet, that I will not take your word for all of them. This is a matter of business, as you understand. The papers are drawn up. If they agree, then consider this a request of courtesy from your host that you bring them here to sign themselves."

Moving his hands to an easier resting position on the weapons on his belt, his demeanor was casual and non threatening. "You are pirates, and not known for your honesty. I have no doubt if there was a better offer made, you'd take it. However, I promise you, I never forget a face, and I always keep my word." His tone is cheerful as he looks at his crew, playing the role of the commander. "And I promise you and your fellow captains, that I have no qualms with sinking every one of your thieving, murderous, dishonest corpses to the bottom of the sea, knowing you'd do the same for us if our situations were reversed. In that respect, don't bother lying. I don't need lies and half truths, I need your ships and your sailors. All you have to do is what you've been doing, only more so."

"So you'll excuse my brusqueness and blunt demeanor. This is business, and I relish the thought no more than you do. You have until noon, Captain Scarlet."=
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 22:24

Patiently, Scarlet waited for the Aurora Commander to finish talking, casually rocking on her leather boot heels.

"Mmhmm, must I repeat myself, Captain?" Her tone remained respectful. " There is no need for the others to gather. My word alone shall suffice. I have me own way with dealing with disobiedient whelps - should they step out of line. But, eh, they will follow me easier than you, sir. Just sayin'. Her reputation alone was enough. "And another thing, we ain't liers when it comes to lucrative deals."
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 22:35

=Kinsen smiles with a nod. "I will trust your word only when I am sure of the weight it carries, Captain Scarlet. My ultimatum has been delivered. I don't need them to follow me into battle, and I'm not expecting them to take orders from me. In fact, I'm not asking anything. I'm telling. You have until noon, and the sand is pouring."=
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 23:17

She stood firm and just looked at Kinsen. One thing Scarlet was not used to was being told what to do. Clearly she wasn't happy.

"This is my island, I'm asking you to give me the benefit of the doubt. They don't know you, but they will work for me. Duke Wulfgang of Del Fuaco told me I was in charge. Perhaps you should be negotiating with him?"
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-29, 23:46

=Kinsen sighs. "I admire your tenacity. However, i would hate to see such pig-headed stubborness condemn men to death. This is what you are doing by wasting your time."

"The matter is simple. A captain is a king on his own decks. I give them the respect of that title by allowing them to entreat with me as they will. I give them choices. Not many, or varied choices, but perhaps there are men who have more pride then sense on this island. Aye, and women too it would seem."

He smiles faintly. "I do believe you could use a dose of humility. For what I offer, and the consequences of refusal, perhaps a wounded pride is a small price to pay for security. Oh, to be sure, we can talk of battles, and dying with a song on our lips and a sword in our hands. Captain, let me ask you, what prevented me from just turning this entire harbor into driftwood? I have the means, and I've had ample time to raze the entire harbor. This puts me at a distinct advantage."

He gestures with one hand. "You have no doubt noticed the peculiarity of my vessel as well. How well would one of your little friagtes stand against her? Know that I am am not making idle threats, and the only overt show of force I will make in this endeavor would destroy your city, ships, crew, friends, and all. It is a poor, miserly thing to do, but I have the advantage, and I am pressing it. I don't care for your pride, no more than you care for mine. I made my offer, and those are my terms. You can agree to them, and return with your captains, or you can face the block. Either way, you have until noon, and all the posturing in the world will only waste precious hours."

He spreads his hands in a helpless gesture, smiling in a reassuring manner. "Do not take my harshness or incivility as a sign of disrespect. However, there are larger issues here than a captain whose pride is hurt. If you would have a compromise that will keep your pride intact, by all mean, return by noon with the signatures and marks of every captain that supports you. Those I would honor. But your word, for all those men? No, not from pirates and criminals."

He gestures back to the waiting ship. "As far as I am concerned, the issue is closed. I can have the paperwork brought to you for them to sign if you will, or you can bring them here. Either option will suffice, but I will have their names."=
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-30, 00:22

Whilst he was talking, she reached into her clevage and pulled out a whistle.Bringing it to her lips she blew it once, interrupting him. Her eyes flashed with strength and fury.

"I know what a Captain is, Sir! Do not see me as so naive that I can't see when I don't have a choice. We may not be edjucated the same but that makes no difference. Aye, we have pride, we've worked every day of our lives for it. I dun need a dose of humility, not when the likes of us were born with it."

She turned and began to walk, swinging the whistle in her hands. "Enough talk, I'll be going to me Island now, come on George. I'm done with this.." She headed towards the rope ladder.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-30, 12:10

=Kinsen nods. "I understand, Captain Scarlet." turning to a marine nearby, he sighs deeply. "Gunnery Sergeant, I want you to put their largest ship to the harbor floor, on my signal."

Turning back to Scarlet walking, he speaks to her back, his voice weary. "Tell me, Captain, would your men rather have their pride, or their ships? And how well will you be recieved on shore knowing you've cost them their livelyhoods?" he gestures to the marines on the deck. "assuming you make it to shore at all. My offer is generous, when all I ask is for you alone to lay down your insufferable pride. However, rest assured I do not make idle threats. I will have your captains, or I will sink them. It makes no difference to me at this juncture."

He smiles wanly, spreading his hands again in a gesture of helplessness that she would only see if she had turned back. "Both of our hands are tied in this, Captain. You see insult in opportunity. I am not asking you to bend the knee, only to sink some ships."

Pausing a moment, he listens to the shouts of gun crews, and feels the subtle drift of the ship coming into target, knowing that they were trained and efficient, awaiting only his word. "I admire you captain, so again I extend my offer. A ship is a work of art, and I would hate to destroy such beloved craftsmanship. However, you have been unreasonable, and perhaps need some convincing of the severity of our situation."

He gestures to the largest ship in the harbor. "That vessel, do you know her captain? I hope so. I would like very much for you to explain to him that your stubborn refusal cost him his ship."

"Indeed, I will honor your request to leave as well, despite my misgivings in letting you go after your refusal. You have until noon. Return, attack, or hide in a hole for all I wish. And let your captains know as well. Extend them the courtesy of not placing the noose around their necks for the sake of your pride."

Crossing his arms at the wrists again, he stands straight, every inch the admiral. "I wish you safe passage to your harbor, Captain Scarlet. It has been a pleasure."=
Back to top Go down
Scarlet

Scarlet

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-30, 22:53

"Alright alright, Admiral - I'm sure we wont be needin' to destroy any ships." She clenched her fists. "That vessel your lookin' at belongs to me. You have missunderstood what I was sayin'. I was offering advice, thats all. Now I'll be off to discuss this little matter with the other Captains.." She began making her decent, shaking her head and muttering to herself. "Good day, Admiral"

She sat in the other boat and waited for George, keeping her thoughts to herself - for the moment.
Back to top Go down
Kinsen

Kinsen

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime2011-12-30, 23:44

=Kinsen nods. "She's a beautiful ship, Captain. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation." Waiting at perfect attention until she is gone, he heaves a sigh when she is well out of earshot. He did not relish having to speak such, or be so heavy handed. He had made an enemy of misunderstanding, and he could not rememdy the situation without compromising his progress. Perhaps sinking the lot of them would be more prudent. He had unleashed a chatoic force he could not trust, and that would assuredly strike against him if the opportunity arose.

Nodding, he sealed his course in his head. He did not relish the thought of killing men needlessy, nor of letting them die without pride. If they used his letters of mark as a means to escape, then he would hunt them like dogs, and let them die as real warriors. He would ask no less.

He gives a quiet order for the gunners to stand down, but maintain high alert for his orders, and for the marines to do the same. They may detest his methods, these pirates, but he was after results...=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Opening Moves...   The Opening Moves... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Opening Moves...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Cities :: Isle of Del Fuaco-
Jump to: