Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The man known as Simon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Simon

Simon

The man known as Simon Empty
PostSubject: The man known as Simon   The man known as Simon Icon_minitime2011-01-27, 23:31

The journal consists of many pages bound in leather. The handwriting inside is neat and precise, the work of a well educated person.
The first one hundred and fifty pages or so consist of a log about this mans work. He is a scholar from a land far away from Aegis, who has journeyed around to strange lands to learn more.
Page 165 is bookmarked and is where the story begins.

Day 276.
Today I arrived in the Kryst forest. That is the name the locals give it, although it is not a forest in the traditional sense.It is more a collection of plains surrounded by clusters of tall trees. There are several types of unique flowers are which bear more study. The whole area has a strange yet wonderful aroma which I can not quite place.
[There are some examples of pressed flowers on the next couple of pages.]

Day 277.
During the night my sleep was interrupted by several nocturnal creatures who appeared to be as curious about me as I am about them. I have sketched a few of them in the hope someone will be able to tell me more.

I made a small discovery in one of the clearings around mid-day. A man! He does not appear to understand my language, and I can not understand his, but he was very insistant that I refrain from going down one particular trail.
Once I allowed him to persuade me not to go that way, he appeared to become more friendly towards me. I have named him "Simon" for the time being, in honour of my father.

Day 283.
Simon has remained at my side for several days now, our lack of communication clearly frustrating for him as well as me. I have begun to attempt to teach him some of the basics, but it is hard work. He can repeat words, but has no idea what they mean. I am the same to him. I know the words "Alcuu" and "Hasma", but I do not know what they mean.

Day 285.
We are still no further in our exchanges, but Simon never leaves my side. He seems to understand what I am doing as he has started to collect samples of flowers for me, helping me press them to include in this journal.
There is one type he appears protective of however. I do not have a sample of it yet, it is a blue plant, growing close to the shade of the larger trees. The flower head is long and drooping and the aroma it gives off is excquisite. Yet whenever I attempt to pick one, he shakes his head at me.

There are still pathways that I want to travel, but he always prevents me. It's almost as if he's guarding something.

Day 285.
It was a most eventful few hours. I set my usual nightly camp out, and Simon as has been normal for these past 8 nights has laid down near my blanket. However sleep was not my intention. I waited until he had fallen asleep, and carefully left my camp, taking only a few items with me. I had to see what lay down these paths he did not want me taking.
By candle light I journeyed down, many of the creatures of the night appearing fearful of the flickering light and keeping out of my way.
After an hour of travel I found what I assume it is he wanted hidden.

In a clearing lay a small village! There were 20 or so houses as best I could see. There may have been more, but I could not see that clearly. I waited for a few moments, but heard and saw no one. So I ventured in and appeared to wake a guard.

He jabbered to me in the same language that Simon uses. In fact his facial features are similar to Simon, so I assume he comes from this village.
After several failed exchanges between us, the guard brandished a sharpened spear in my direction. Well I don't need a translator to work out what that means, so I turned and fled.
The guard did not appear to follow me, and I managed to find my way back to the camp, where Simon was still sleeping.

Day 286.
I managed to catch a few hours sleep, and when I awoke, I tried once again to cummunicate with Simon. I headed towards the path I had taken in the night, and once again he blocked my path, shaking his head. With the guard in the village itself I can not imagine Simon is another guard. My guess is he has been outcast from the village.

[The next few pages appear to have been ripped from the book]

Day 302.
I have decided to leave the forest and return to my home in an effort to understand all that has happened here. Simon walked with me to the edge of the plains, but went no further. I tried to communicate with him, to encourage him to come, but he refused.
Then, the most oddest of things occured. As I turned to leave, he yelled at me, and ran back to the base of a tall tree. There he picked several clumps of the blue flower I had tried to collect in secret the other day, and he walked back to me. He walked past the threshold of the plain, clutching the flowers in his hand and together we headed back towards the large city.

Day 310.
We arrived back in the port city, where I was able to gain passage for the pair of us on a boat.

Day 323.
The journey so far has been uneventful, but time consuming. I have found myself re-reading my adventure and trying to understand a way of getting Simon and myself to communicate.
I have made a little success in that. He now understands "Thank you" and "Please", and knows when to use them. "Hello" is the next to teach him. Start with the small things, I always say.

Day 325.
The captain of the boat called me to his office for a quiet word earlier today. He is becoming worried that the ships food stocks appear to be dwindling rapidly. He out and out accused Simon! I told him there was no way Simon was stealing food from the hold.
Simon still has the blue flowers on him, he keeps them attached to his belt. I still desire to have one for my collection, but everytime I tryand take one, Simon becomes almost aggresive.

Day 327.
The captain told us that we have to make a detour due to the food crisis. He has said there is an island nearby that we can buy food. I told him the delay is acceptable.

[That is the last entry in the journal.]

Back to top Go down

The man known as Simon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Hall of Whispers :: Biographies-
Jump to: